Main Article Content

Jose Andres Morgado-Diaz, PHD

Gastrointestinal cancers are a leading cause of death among patients worldwide. The polygenic and heterogeneous nature of gastrointestinal cancers are characterized by alterations in multiple molecular pathways throughout their development, posing a big challenge for patient risk stratification and treatment options. Gastrointestinal cancers are common, and treatments are more effective when the cancers are detected at an early stage, which, unfortunately, is a challenge. About 10% of the gastrointestinal cancers are attributed to various genetic risk factors whereas the remaining 90% are sporadic, which further complicates timely diagnosis and subsequent development of management strategies, necessitating the need for a better understanding of the origin, and the development of better treatment strategies for gastrointestinal cancer. This book, contributed by an international team of clinicians and basic scientists, provides select, clinically significant aspects of gastrointestinal cancer. The first three chapters focus on colorectal cancer, the most predominant of gastrointestinal cancers. Chapter 1 provides an overview of colorectal cancer with emphasis on epidemiology, etiology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, treatment, prognosis, and prevention strategies. Identifying modifiable risk factors to reduce the incidence and morbidity of colorectal cancer is beneficial on an individual and public health level. There is a great emphasis on the role of lifestyle and diet as risk factors for colorectal cancer. As the diet we consume is processed by the gastrointestinal system, the putative role of the diet in colorectal cancer cannot be underestimated. CONTINUE READING…..


Download data is not yet available.


Metrics Loading ...

Article Details